I will be getting a new sister in law soon! I was invited to her bachelorette party!
Due to the pandemic, we were all asked to mask up and prepare for an all day outdoor celebration. We were also asked to wear animal print to the zoo. But, I actually don’t have anything that is animal print (other than a scarf).
I was up for a challenge. So I met my other sister in law at a thrift store and we searched through the racks and found this bad boy! LOTS of potential!
When I brought it home, I knew exactly what I was going to do. I wanted a blouse with a ruffle at the top that can be worn different ways.
Some of my supplies.
I laid the kaftan down and started to cut it into the shape I wanted.
I saved the bottom rectangle at the bottom to use as part of the ruffle along the top of the blouse. Then I cut another rectangle to be the same length but a longer width (the width of the kaftan). I sewed those 2 (actually 4) rectangles together along the shorter sides.
Since this is a satiny type material, I knew it would fray. I switched to my pinking sheers to “cut back” on the fray-age. Actually, before I even sewed, I decided I’d do a french seam
where ever possible whenever I remembered.
For a french seam you first sew the 2 pieces wrong sides together, trim the seam allowance as much as possible, then flip the project inside out and sew another straight seam. Now the raw edges are tucked away out of sight and no more faying.
For the ruffle, hem the bottom and create a channel for the elastic in the top.
Next, it was time to figure out the elastic length.
I took my elastic and stretched it around myself from shoulder to shoulder in a big loop that was comfortably tight. I pinched it where it where the end met the rest of the elastic and measured how long it was unstretched.
Pro-tip: use your measuring tape tacked to your ironing board for this part.
Feed the elastic through the channel in the ruffle and run the elastic ends through the machine.
Ruffle ready, I needed to get the rest of the blouse ready.
I cut out the gold piped neck hole.
But since I didn’t want this shape of a neck line, I filled it back in with some of the waste fabric.
I gave it a good 1/2 inch seam allowance since this was right to wrong side. After it was stitched into place, I was able to turn the raw edges under and iron them down to stay flat, pinned again, and gave it a narrower 1/8 inch seam allowance.
Cut away for the arm holes and cut the fold at the top of the shoulders. Then hemmed the arm-pitty areas.
Next, I turned down the top portion of the blouse about 1/4 of and inch and sewed it down, turned 1/4 of an inch again, pressed, and set aside.
I don’t have pictures for this next part. Sorry.
I turned the ruffle inside out and stretched it as far as it could then pinned it down to my ironing board. Then I turned the blouse inside out, and pinned along the top starting in the middle. Right side of blouse to wrong side of ruffle.
After it was all pinned together, I removed the pins from the ironing board and attached the ruffle only at the top of the blouse.
I wanted the blouse to have a little more body, so I added an elastic band under the bust area. To do this, I found some left over binding from my “Crumbs on the Stairs” quilt and attached this where it should be for under the bust.
Do a quick measurement with another piece of elastic and cut an inch lager. Feed the elastic through the new channel and sew the ends together like the ruffle elastic.
Hem the blouse.
Later, we had a bond fire so I made an easy wardrobe change for evening weather.
I prefer this blouse “off the shoulder” but you can wear it other ways too!
Welcome to the fam!
*Cheers my Dears!*