Tight Tank

I went to the thrift store with my soon-to-be sister-in-law. I saw this tank and thought it was light an airy enough for all of the heat waves we’ve been having this summer. Got it home and realized, it was too small. I knew that might happen, so I was prepared to re-home it if need be.

ignore the boobs. See the pucker on the furthest strap?

It isn’t obvious from the first picture, but it is too tight in the chesticles area. *he he. chesticles.* I figured all I would need was a small narrow piece of fabric to add as a side panel to each side. I checked my fabric stash and didn’t have anything that would work.

But, we have a Good Will pile. This is normal, right? Everyone has this pile, right? Please tell me everyone has this pile! If you have kids, you 99.9% FOR SURE have this pile!!!

“Well! Looky what we have here!” -Biff Tannen
Yas Queen!!!

It’s my daughter’s hippy vest! It is by the brand “Self Esteem”. Either way, it was perfect! I’m going to remove the white lace/fringe portion and use that as my new side panels.

Let’s get a pickin’! (…and distance learnin’! ‘Cause it’s 2020 ya’ll!) Hey, Son! Good job learnin’ over there! *tips imaginary cowboygirl hat.* Carry on.

pick pick pick. don’t cut the vest.

I managed to not ruin the red vest, so it is still going to go off to Good Will.

I saw somewhere that I could try to dye the lace with raspberries. Those things are always staining my shirt anyway. I can use it to my advantage! What is this lace made out of anyway? Dunno. Oh well, let’s give it a shot! What’s the worst that could happen? Famous last words, amiright?

First I need to treat the fabric to be dyed with a salt water solution. Then prepare the raspberries:

*Sarcastically* Boy! Am I glad I didn’t waste my time on that!

Color me unimpressed… or don’t, because we know raspberries and coffee won’t do the trick!

Guess it didn’t work after all.

I do not recommend this process. Then again, if you want to mindlessly kill a few hours out of your pandemic day, knock yourself out. I knew there was a chance it wouldn’t work.

While I was anxiously awaiting my failed dye experiment, I picked apart the seams of the shirt and blew it open!

Pin the dried dye-fail lace strip in place and use a zig zag stitch. I used my walking foot here. Mostly because I was too lazy to change it after the quilt I was working on.

A walking foot moves both the top and bottom layer of fabric through the machine evenly.

Pro tip: It is called a walking foot, NOT a running foot. Take it slow.

Yes. I labeled the foot…because I am uber forgetful and slightly neurotic.

((( Insert some lame story as to why you labeled the walking foot…but purposely don’t. It only adds to the mystery that is you!)))

Once the pins are out, flip the shirt and give it an edge stitch to keep the raw edge of the lace from poking back through the hole…or don’t…who’s getting that close to my armpits?

Look at that edge stitch! Are you proud Mama?

The front of the shirt is cut higher than the back, so the new panels need to be sewn up on a diagonal.

Wrong side vs right side (inside vs. outside). Can you tell the difference? Barely, right? That’s a good sign you did it proper!

Mama taught me that the wrong side should always look as nice as the front

Here we go folks! All fixed up and fitting better!

I even have some wiggle room!

bathroom selfie!

I’ve already worn this shirt a few times and it is one of my favorite summer tops. Too bad the last day of summer was last week… and yet, here it is! 11:00pm and it is currently 80°!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: