Upon first glance, there isn’t anything “wrong” with this shirt. Yet, every time I wear it I get asked, “What’s up with those sleeves?”, “Did you do that on purpose?” and “Your quality control is slipping.” This shirt was a gift. I like it, but yeah, the sleeves…what’s up with the cuffbands having exposed seams? It just doesn’t seem to reflect the classically casual style of the shirt.
Here is a closer look:
Maybe I’ve been wearing it wrong???
Here is the label. The inside seam has been serged, just like the cuffs.
I thought I was missing something. Maybe this was the designer’s original intention? I searched for it online. Maybe I can find a picture of it being worn? Maybe the model has the sleeves folded somehow?
I could only find it on Mercari.com. It was on a hanger. No help, other than to confirm that my shirt wasn’t the only one like it.
The reverse of this seam looks nice and professionally finished:
I concluded that both shirts were probably from the same batch and were probably factory rejects. In this case, quality control caught the goofs and sorted them out to a discount store. Hey! The company still needs to make money, right? SOME money is better than NO money. Their loss is my gain, because I can fix this easy!
Let’s start by gathering the necessary supplies! Straight pins, pin magnet, seam ripper, fabric scissors, white thread and loaded bobbin. Is that even enough bobbin thread?
Let’s get rippin’!
But what is this shiny clear tape under the thread? Hmmm… I don’t think I’ve ever used it when I have made clothing.
I’ve used Wonder Tape before, but that is like a double sided tape, and this isn’t sticky on the top. Hmmm…
GOT IT!!! After some research, it is a clear elastic sewn or heat set into place to help create small puckers instead of using pins or the basting technique. Looks like I just learned something new! Points for me!!!
After completely detaching the cuff band, clean up all of those messy threads.
Then reposition the cuff band into its rightful place.
You can see the clear elastic better here:
Here is how I do my pinning on something that has a bit of puckerage.
Time for Ken to do her part! Yes, my sewing machine’s name is Ken. Yes, she’s a her!
Drop the extension table and test your straight stitch on a scrap piece of material. I reuse the same piece. I like the texture it creates. I’ll probably add the scrap to a quilt at a later time.
Straight stitchin’. Remove the pins just before you stitch over them. Also, stitch, then reverse, and go forward again. This locks your thread in place.
Take it off of the machine and check your seam to make sure you went through all 3 layers (2 cuff band ends and 1 stripy shirt cuff).
Whoops! looks like I was off a bit in the first picture below. Not to worry! I still have a zig zag stitch up my sleeve *wink*, and that should remedy that! But the second pictures shows where I missed the cuff completely!
Also, I ran out of bobbin thread.
When I loaded the bobbin, it was going on too loose and this will be a problem later.
After a few bobbin issues I was ready to rock ‘n roll! Fixed the 2 above whoopses. Check the seam again. Zig zag around. Check seams again…this time, some of the clear elastic was still visible. I pinned either end and fed it through Ken again! Ha! I’m a poet and didn’t know it! Ha ha! Shannon, you slay me!!
I did this to the other cuff too….only with fewer whoopses!
Here is a slide-by-slide of the before and aftah’. I’ll work on my photography skills. But also, maybe not.
Mmmm… that’s better!
*It was unintentional at first, but I kinda like having the clock in my background. Looks like this project took about an hour and a half!